Thursday, January 14, 2010

The old story

Curiously, Avatar may be a conscious expression of the
subconscious yearning for a new story that may be
behind the outbursts of rage and frustration referred to in
my last blog; hence, possibly, its box-office success. But
alas, it’s a truly appalling movie. I agree with Peter Calder
and indeed Karl du Fresne about its utter inanity and
internal inconsistency even by its own standards; and I
find Judy Callingham’s enthusiasm for it inexplicable.
She acknowledges that it’s formulaic but loves it all the
same. Well, yes, sometimes formula does the trick, like a
good detective story or an airport thriller. But $300 million
(at least) of formula? Come on. (Not to mention the $30m
tax break kindly donated to the cost of production by the
New Zealand taxpayer.) Above all, it’s a titanic failure of
the imagination. I think James Cameron’s Terminator
films are great fun, terrific action movies, but it seems he
used up all the imagination he had on them, and had none
left for Titanic, let alone Avatar. Yes, there is some
significance in the fact that the greenies are the goodies, as
it were, but that’s not exactly new either—think Dances
with Wolves
for a start—and in any case the idea is barely
developed before being discarded almost contemptuously.

[spoiler alert]

The supposedly unspoiled tribe of beautiful people at one
with nature triumph in the end because why? They’re way
better at (as Calder says) ‘blowing shit up.’ Brute force wins
the day again, and the last frame shows the greens on top
with guns in their hands. Meet the new boss—same as the
old boss. Imagine that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the kind of hombre who passions to try hot stuff. Currently I am manufacturing my own pv panels. I'm making it all alone without the assistance of my men. I'm utilizing the net as the only way to acheive that. I came across a truly awesome website which explains how to contruct pv panels and wind generators. The internet site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I am not exactly sure bout how precise the information given there iz. If some experts over here who have experience with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the page it will be great and I would really appreciate it, because I really like solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. U people rock.

Giovanni Tiso said...

I think that line of Jackson's that Calder used in his review about film not even needing to be good anymore was a killer.

Anonymous said...

I am the kind of guy who passions to taste bran-new things. Currently I am constructing my own solar panels. I am making it all by myself without the assistance of my men. I'm utilizing the internet as the only way to acheive this. I encountered a really brilliant site which explains how to build photovoltaic panels and wind generators. The web site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I'm not really sure about how precise the information given there is. If some people over here who had xp with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the page it would be awesome and I would highly value it, cause I truly love solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. You guys are great.